Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview with Michelle White

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racer800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Interview with Michelle White Reply with quote

Hello Clarence-fans! This interview with Michelle White was made by me for the "Clarence White fans" group on Facebook. I hope members of this forum also can find it interesting!

Clarence White fan-group have the pleasure to present an exclusive interview, made only for this Facebook-group, with Michelle White, 42, daughter of the legendary Byrds-guitarist Clarence White. Along with Michelle joining the group she also spoke to member swedish journalist Dan Margard. The interview was made on December 2 2008.

Hi Michelle, very welcome to the Clarence White-fan group! Your father died 1973, but as you see the memory of your father is still alive on the internet. You must have noticed that yourself?

"Most definitely. There is a lot of Clarence White-followers out there. His records still sell and at the www.clarencewhiteforum.com fans and friends gather and also get together to play in his memory."

You were 7 years old when Clarence died after being strucked by a drunk driver. What is your strongest memory of your father?

"It was the morning that my grandfather, Eric (Clarences father) died of a massive heart attack inside the house we all lived in, in Leona Valley, California. My father swooped me up with one sock on my foot, to his bedroom where he sat me on his lap and cried on my shoulder. That was the most tender moment between the two of us. My father was a very laid back and funny person to be around. Very genuine."

When did you realize that your father was a country- & rockstar ?

"Over time, actually. We lived in a very small town where I grew up. A lot of people were aware of who my parents were which made it harder on me as a child. I had to learn how to deal with much 'small town gossip' as the years progressed. As I grew up I was finally able to meet with John Delgatto, president of Sierra Records. He would sit for hours and tell me stories he knew and people my father was involved with."

Your father must have been away a lot from home, touring with the Byrds?

"Yes, which made airports a very sad place to be at times. I wasn't good with good-byes."

What happened with your family after the accident with Clarence?

"My mother, Susie White didn't take my father's death very well.I had a brother, Bradley who was 3 at the time of my father's death. My mother moved us back to her hometown and worked as a secretary. She rented a house from my uncle in Elkhorn City in Kentucky. It was there that we lived after the death of my father."

Your mother later died, you became an orphan at an age of 15, you have had some very troubled years?

"Yes, with the untimely death of my father it sent my mother into a whirlwind of everything from alcoholism, to abusive relationships, to family betrayal. Then when my mother and brother were both killed in a tragic freak accident when I was 15; that again sent me into very similar circumstances. only I became addicted to crack cocaine. I almost died several times. I have recovered from drug addiction since and I am 5 years clean in March of 2009."

How is your life now?

"Right now I am actually out of work. I have been a 'stay-at-home' mom so you could say I am starting all over again. I am currently going through a divorce with my former spouse of ten years. I have 5 children, two grown, Bradley 22 and Brandon 20. I am currently raising Haley 16, Victoria 11 and Taurus 5. I live in section 8 housing south of Nashville, Tennessee."

How is it with Clarence´s musical companions. Anyone youre meeting? How´s his brother Roland, also a musician.

"Yes, I currently keep in touch with Gene Parsons and his daughters. I remember Roger McGuinn well. Roland lives with his wife, Diane here in Nashville about 30 minutes from my house. We keep in touch on a regular basis."

Are you musically interested? Your kids?

"Yes. I listen to music all the time. I played saxophone and held 2nd seat for five years. I listen to everything from classic rock to blues, some hip hop and even bluegrass from time to time. My kids are all musically talented.Victoria, my 11 year old sings and brings tears to my eyes. My oldest two, Brad and Brandon had guitar lessons growing up and Brandon is currently playing his C.W. Martin guitar everyday."

Do you have any of your father's guitars ?

"No, I was promised the Stringbender but country star Marty Stuart took an interest in the guitar and bought it from my mother right before she was killed in the car accident.

Your favorite songs with Clarence appearing?

"Buglar, touches my heart, Soldiers Joy and Blackmountain Rag; Truck Stop Girl; and Mr. Tambourine Man still has the power to make me cry!"

You have written a book – My Back Pages - about your life?

"Yes, an autobiography that is still currently being edited. I have gotten excellent response and feedback as well."

Michelle, thank you very much. Do you have any useful links to share with our Clarence White fan-members?

"Yes, the forum www.clarencewhiteforum.com
My myspace: www.myspace.com/mchelleswhite
And there is also: www.myspace.com/clarencewhitetshirts "
Laurent Vue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Racer800 for this interview, very interesting, and thank for Michelle to keep his father Clarence Alive in our head...
Laurent
Beechwoods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting interview. Hope the book works out well for you, Michelle. I'll be looking forward to reading a copy when it hits the shops Smile
isenhour

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle, this is just great. Siblings of Rock legends go through life's highways. Sounds like you've gone through a few. I hope in the book you include a lot of photos of CW and you and CW. Nothing sells a book better than photos never seen elsewhere.
mwhite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys, Reply with quote

~Happy New Year !

Wink
Michelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: